According to a recent study, approximately 1 out of every 8 adults between the ages of 40 and 60 throughout the United States is a member of what is known as the sandwich generation. This is the group of people who are caring for both their elderly adult and their children. Being a member of this group can be stressful, and even overwhelming at times, but it can also offer you a wide variety of benefits. Recognizing these benefits, and reminding yourself of them regularly, can help to reduce your stress, improve your mental emotional health, and bring greater meaning to your efforts for both generations.
Some of the benefits of being a member of the sandwich generation include:
- You have the unique opportunity to spend extra quality time with both your elderly parent and your children.
- Your care efforts for both generations bridges the gap between them, encouraging them to spend more time together and create stronger relationships.
- You can feel confident your aging parent is getting the love, support, and care they deserve as they age, so you can show them how much it meant to you that they cared for you this way when you were younger.
- You can help your parent manage their health problems in ways that are respectful and meaningful to them as an individual because you know them, their wishes, and their opinions.
- Caring for both helps to continue the closeness of the family, which shows your children the value of these relationships and encourages them to continue.
Being a member of the sandwich generation can offer a wide variety of benefits to all of the members of your family, but that doesn’t mean you need to take on all of these responsibilities on your own. Caring for the needs of an elderly adult along with managing the responsibilities of being a parent, while also working, taking care of your house, and maintaining your marriage can feel like far too much for one person. This is where home care can be a valuable addition to your care routine. Adding the personalized services of an in-home senior care services provider to your efforts means knowing your aging parent is getting everything they need to support their independence, preserve their quality of life, and help them stay safe and healthy throughout their later years. This means that both when you can be with them, and when you need to be focusing on other elements of your life, your parent is still in good hands. A care provider can also offer tremendous benefit even when you are around, such as during vacation, on outings with your family, or during special events. Having a provider during these times means maintaining consistent care for your senior, and giving you peace of mind so you can relax and enjoy yourself as well.
If you or an aging loved-one are considering caregiver services in Seal Beach, CA, please contact the caring staff at Easy Living Home Care today. Providing Non-Medical Home Care Services in Orange County, CA since 2009. Call for Assistance: (949) 282-5017 or (949) 842-6831
At a very young age it was always Ms. LaPorte’s passion to work with the elderly. She was a caregiver at a nursing home in high school and college and volunteered in senior centers and senior events held by the city in which she grew up. After graduation, Ms. LaPorte became a special education teacher for sixteen years.
She put her teaching career on the sidelines to raise two wonderful children, during which her passion for the elderly inspired her to start Easy Living Home Care in 2009. Ms. Laporte wanted to help people, especially seniors, find competent, qualified, and caring in-home care at reasonable rates.
Ms LaPorte takes an active role in conducting and managing all operations of her business. She is patient, compassionate and listens. Ms. Laporte is always available to her clients and staff.
In her spare time, Lori volunteers for the American Red Cross and Leashes of Love canine rescue organization.